Top Ten Twitter Hashtags for Educators
One of the best ways to stay up-to-date on the latest in education (other than a free subscription to the SimpleK12 blog) is to follow hashtags on Twitter. Before we get into which hashtags to watch, let's look at what they are.
Hashtags (#) are basically keywords for a tweet. Depending on the content of your tweet, you can use different hashtags so other teachers looking for similar content can find your tweet. For example, if I just found a new online resource for teachers, I might tweet about it and add the #edtech hashtag on the end so other teachers looking for educational technology can see it.
So now that you know what hashtags are, which ones should you watch? Depending on what you're looking for, there are actually many different hashtags you can add to your Twitter stream.
Check out my list of the top 10 Twitter hashtags for educators:
- #edchat - This is hashtag that was created by Tom Whitby, Steven Anderson and Shelly Terrell for all educators to connect and share their ideas on. Every Tuesday at 12:00 pm EST and 7:00 pm EST they have a discussion on a topic that is voted on the day before.
- #mlearning - This is a great hashtag to follow if you're looking to incorporate moibile devices into your classroom. This feed will provide you with many ideas and connections with other educators doing similar things in their classroom.
- #edtech - Under this hashtag you can find anything that has to do with technology in education. This is also a great place to find out about new web tools you can use with your students.
- #ipaded - If you're an educator with an iPad (or looking for a good reason to buy one), check out #ipaded. This stream highlights many iPad apps that are ideal for education.
- #education - Here you can find information on anything and everything related to education- from standardized testing to new technology for teachers.
- #mathchat - Not only can you always find a tricky math problem that needs solving on this stream, but you can also connect with all types of math teachers who you can collaborate and share ideas with.
- #scichat - If you're a science teacher you must check out #scichat. This stream will keep you up to date with everything happening in the science field, both related and unrelated to education.
- #engchat - engchat takes place every Monday from 7-8:00 pm EST. Each week they cover a different topic that they highlight on their website.
- #sped -Technology is revolutionizing special education. Check out #sped to learn about how education is changing and what technology is making it happen.
- #kinderchat... #6thchat - If you're looking for grade specific content and lessons for your elementary students, check out any of the following hashtags- #kinderchat #1stchat #2ndchat #3rdchat #4thchat #5thchat #6thchat.
Bonus Hashtag- If you're watching SimpleK12 webinars, don't forget to tweet with the #sk12 hashtag!
I know there are many more Twitter streams for educators out there. Please leave a comment and share which ones you enjoy!